43 Uses for Lemon Essential Oil + FB Giveaway
Why is lemon essential oil one of my favorites? Because I think it’s amazing that the drops of one oil can both clean your house and/or refresh your body, mind, and spirit?!
Young Living Lemon Essential Oil is cold-pressed from lemon rinds, protecting its strong, purifying properties. It takes 75 lemons to produce one 15mL bottle of essential oil which contains 68% d-limonene, a powerful antioxidant. More good stuff, like oxygen, into our cells = more bad stuff out. Lemon helps balance our bodies’ pH to an alkaline state, which helps prevent “dis-ease” and inflammation, and detoxifies our livers and vital organs.
Lemon oil is a popular, versatile oil and a household MUST here. Here are some of my favorite uses for lemon essential oil:
- Diffuse in the air to energize or support mental clarity. Great for studying or waking the kids up in the morning!
- Put a drop or two on your temples to improve concentration.*
- Making your own dishwasher detergent (powder or tabs). Here’s my monthly recipe.
- Similarly, lemon or other citrus oils are great to add to vinegar, making a homemade citrus rinse aid like I do.
- I think my favorite use of all is adding a drop or two to my glass of water, tea, shake, or juice. This refreshing pick-me-up enhances flavor, helps promote healthy weight loss, supports the immune, circulatory, nervous, and sympathetic nervous system, and just kickstarts everything. Gets me drinking more water, too! Avoid plastic cups with essential oils; stainless steel is fine though. I ONLY ingest a few Young Living oils following individual bottle recommendations for those that are dietary supplements* and must warn you against adding just any old lemon oil into your water because I don’t know what’s in others. Please do your research first.
- It’s an excellent degreaser. Use 1-2 drops to remove grease spots…
- Gum remover….
- Erase crayon marks from walls and most surfaces…
- Including melted crayon on laundry that’s been through the washer and dryer. Worked for me twice so far in my parenting journey!
- Easily takes off the glue/adhesive that’s left behind from stickers or labels.
- Great laundry stain remover in general, and it whitens whites. (Here’s my Homemade Stain Remover Recipe)
- A drop or two on my dryer balls freshens laundry and…
- Helps eliminate static (Dryer Balls post publishing soon as well…yay!)
- Combine a few drops of lemon oil with water in a spray bottle to sanitize counters or other surfaces.
- I use it to make Homemade Bleach, publishing in April (Green Spring Cleaning theme coming soon, obviously)
- Sanitize toys with a spray or soak.
- Rub a drop or two for carpet stain removal. Use as spot treatment, or add 10–15 drops of lemon essential oil to a gallon of carpet cleaning solution to help pull out stains, brighten carpet and rugs, and leave a fresh smell in the room.
- Combine with baking soda and sprinkle as carpet deodorizer like I did in this post.
- Add a drop or two on a cotton ball and place inside your vacuum compartment to diffuse as you use it.
- Eliminate odors. Put a few drops on a cotton ball and place inside your refrigerator, trash can, gym bag, stinky shoes, home or car air vents.
- Drop some down a smelly garbage disposal as you use it. Clean the whole sink with it while you’re at it.
- Soak your dishcloth in a bowl of water with a drop or two to keep it fresh.
- Drop some salt and lemon oil on a wooden cutting board to scrub around, let sit, and get sanitized.
- Rub a drop or two in your palms and cup around your nose to inhale deeply to get a fresh, focusing uplift.
- “Lemon scent can be effective in reducing nausea and vomiting of pregnancy.” according to this 2014 double-blinded, randomized, controlled, clinical trial.
- Rub a drop of lemon oil all over your hands after using a public restroom!*
- “Place a drop on oily skin or blemishes to help balance oil glands and minimize oil production.”* (straight from YL blog)
- Rub a drop on occasional corns, callouses, or bunions and similar tough spots both morning and evening.*
- “Massage lemon essential oil into cellulite to help improve circulation and eliminate waste from cells.”*(from product page)
- Add it to your daily oil pulling practice for dental health and white teeth.
- Add 2-3 drops lemon oil in a bowl of cold water, soak or swish your fruits and vegetables, stir, and rinse.
- Rub a drop or two on some muscles and parts that need it.*
- Support healthy sinus function in spring/fall.
- Make lemonade! (Another upcoming spring post)
- Or lemon bars.
- Add several drops to a chicken marinade for a delicious dinner. Or other recipes.
- Naturally scent homemade play dough. (YELLOW recipe coming soon)
- I use a diluted drop on our feet to cool us when we’re feeling crummy to support proper immune function 😉 Always, always dilute with kids.*
- Great addition to lots of homemade products, like easy sugar scrubs like these.*
- Make your own “before you go” bathroom spray with lemon scent (or room air freshener spray).
- Make your own moisturizing, foaming hand soap.*
- TLC for some finger and toe nails. A drop at the nail base a few times a week*
- Spritz in hair and go out in the sun for a natural homemade hair lightener (recipe coming soon, big plans at Odds & Evans this spring/summer!)
*One important thing to note: See that last tip about putting lemon in your hair and going out in the sun to naturally lighten it? Well, lemon (and most other citrus oils) are photosensitive meaning you’ll probably want to avoid direct exposure to the sun for up to 24 hours if applying to parts of the skin the sun may see. Will this burn or hurt? No, but just may become temporarily discolored. A gal I know couldn’t figure out why her toes were looking slightly orange until we realized she was putting lemon oil on for toenail health and then going out barefoot to her garden. Oops! This went away as soon as she started slipping on her Crocs instead 🙂 See my safety and usage information for more general guidelines.
Ready to order your essential oils? Ordering through my referral link here would mean so much to me, and then I’ll also shower you with tons of goodies as my thank you! I suggest the starter kit as the best deal and way to first purchase (I did it this way and finally had everything I needed to learn it all). Please make sure it has my number 1756452 in both referral boxes either way and contact me for help anytime!
One lucky Facebook follower will win a free 15ml bottle in the next 24 hours! Head on over to my page to enter! (Terms and Conditions)
Another disclaimer to cover my Internet tush: I can only personally vouch for Young Living essential oils and cannot expect the same purity and potency from any other brand in case you’re using any of these tips to no avail. Their Seed to Seal process makes Young Living the only essential oils I use on my family, body, and home. I encourage you to do your research as well and experience the difference for yourself.
This post is also linked up at: Small Victories Sunday