Love Lotion (DIY Massage Oil)
The power of touch can produce incredible effects. Skin-to-skin contact is important to our entire lives, from baby up. Massages can relieve stress, aches and pains, improve circulation – tons of physical and mental benefits. Touch enhances positive emotions, so it is no wonder how vital massage can be to maintaining strong relationships (with ourselves and others).
A good massage oil will help reduce friction on the skin while moisturizing it. Any nourishing nutrients are absorbed into the skin, so infusing a light base oil with 3 or 4 essential oils provides added benefit to really enhance the experience. Buying a scented massage oil will most likely contain synthetic fragrances and other unnecessary ingredients. Making your own is so easy, plus will be customized just the way you want it! Oh, I wish you could smell it through this screen!
The Basic Rub
You will need a light, easily-spreadable base oil. Almond (or sweet almond) makes an excellent choice as almond aromas are arousing, especially to women. Some other great ones to use would be hazelnut, sunflower, safflower, or grapeseed.
Adding one to four different essential oils will create a lovely, aromatic blend. Take caution to avoid “fragrance oils” that are not true herbally-extracted essential oils. Technically you can use them just fine for simply smells, however, they are not harnessing any true therapeutic plant benefits. If you’re (aiming to be) chemical-free like me, I only recommend these essential oils. I use about 40-60 drops total essential oil per 1 cup of base oil for this. Keep fragrances to about 1-3% of the total mixture.
An optional addition would be just a splash of a heavier oil, like jojoba, olive, avocado, or sesame. This just makes the oil a little richer and thicker, but keep this ingredient to less than 5% of your concoction…or else it will not absorb into skin as easily.
Love Lotion Recipe (Homemade Massage Oil)
In 20 Sensual Essential Oils for Love, Romance, and Passion, I spotlighted wonderful oils you may want/need to customize (try only a few drops of any ‘warming’ oils, like Black Pepper, if you use). Here is an excellent recipe to try that utilizes four great essential oils with aphrodisiac qualities. Other base oils I mentioned above can be replaced as well.
- About 1 cup of sweet almond oil
- 1/2 to 1 whole teaspoon of jojoba oil
- 12-15 drops Sandalwood essential oil(uniquely able to mingle with everyone’s own natural body odors, which means Sandalwood produces different aromas and pheremones for each person! Brings out the best in you, something very personal)
- 12-15 drops Jasmine essential oil(promotes deep-lasting affections by bringing confidence and a slight warmth. It is seductive for rekindling and sustaining strong relationships, taking away performance anxiety or feelings of inadequacy)
- 8-10 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil (calming, cooling, and euphoric at the same time. Known for soothing anxieties and conflicts to enjoy a deeply sensual, erotic experience)
- 6-8 drops Patchouli essential oil (you either love or hate this oil, but it is a focusing oil. Patchouli aids in a sharp mind and being fully present with a partner or self, as well as overcoming fatigue. Helps men relax and arouse)
Just combine and shake up! A pump bottle seems right for this homemade product, so I re-used a nice purple one I had. Give it another little shake before use, whether as a DIY massage oil or after-shave oil.
Their combination of effective aromas with smooth carriers for massage can heighten us in mind, body, and spirit. Love yourself and others, and always do your research about what ingredients goes in/on your body.
The fragrance of your skin is sweeter to me than the perfumes of a million roses….~Blanche Shoemaker Wagstaff
This is my necessary disclaimer that this blog is not meant to diagnose, treat, or cure. I am only a mom with an education background. I must let you know that any essential oils statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. I simply approve for myself and family of such things that I deem safe, effective, and positively life-transformative. I encourage you all to be informed and empowered with your health. Also, some of my posts may contain affiliate links. When you click them, you help me to cover a small portion of the cost of this blog. I appreciate your support so that I can continue to do what I love. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Odds & Evans’ ideals, my personal use, and those I believe would be of value to my readers.